In this morning’s Newsday, Robert Brodsky reports that today is the deadline for proposals on a scaled down Coliseum to be submitted to Nassau County for review.
There are also interesting notes about the possibility of the Islanders leaving early from County Executive Ed Mangano:
Mangano has said there is “no deal on the table” for the team to depart early, but language in the [Request For Proposal] allows for the possibility of a “sooner termination” of the team’s lease.
Another official, County Attorney John Ciampoli, told Newsday that, “the Islanders need only the permission of the county to break their lease.”
Last Monday, Point Blank reported that both the team and County would be open to a deal allowing the Islanders to leave the Coliseum for Brooklyn in the summer of 2014, a year earlier than currently scheduled.
This request for proposal is different than the one that Don Monti won last year. Monti won the rights to develop the area around the arena, while this current RFP’s goal is to find a developer to modify the Coliseum.