Christian Arnold, Islanders Point Blank:
“From the beginning when [Boyle] knew he was not going back to San Jose, he was excited to see what options and possibilities might be out there. It shows that they’re kind of stuck up here and showing a lot of interest,” George Bazos, Boyle’s agent, said in a phone interview with Islanders Point Blank.
The Islanders acquired Boyle’s rights late Thursday afternoon from the San Jose Sharks in exchange for a conditional fourth round pick. Team general manager Garth Snow has already had a brief conversation with Bazos after the trade. “He just told me about the trade and he’s excited at the opportunity to obtain Dan’s rights,” Bazos said.
Boyle has spent the last six seasons with the San Jose Sharks, so he is not as familiar with the Islanders organization. Bazos said that his client will do some research to get a comfort level with the Islanders.
“Right now there’s a lot research and work to be done on both sides,” he said. “He would be excited as much with the Islanders as with any other team at this point.”
Boyle’s agent says that regardless of the team they will be look for a two-year deal, but would not say what the monterey amount is that they are asking for. “The amount is impossible to categorize because it’s not arbitration situation. It’s a free agent situation, so the market will dictate that at some point,” he said.
The Islanders have until July 1 to exclusively negotiate with the soon-to-be 38-year-old defenseman. Last season Boyle recorded 36 points (12 goals,24 assists) in San Jose and would be a major assets to the Islanders struggling power play unit, which lacked a power play quarterback for much of last year.
New York has been down the trade and sign route before this offseason. The Islanders acquired the rights for Jaroslav Halak on May 1 and signed him three weeks later. Snow will now hope that he can find the same luck with Boyle.